We are extremely proud of the Decatur County veterans who have honorably served our country and extend a warm welcome home from the Administrator and Commission of Decatur County Veterans Affairs.
The Decatur County Veterans Affairs is dedicated to ensuring that Decatur County veterans and their dependents receive the full measure of county, state, and federal benefits to which they are entitled. For our newest veterans, we are committed to helping you make a successful reintegration into civilian life and community.
Thank you for your personal sacrifice in military service to our country. I am proud to serve as your Administrator of Decatur County Veterans Affairs and look forward to serving you.
Samantha Schaff, Administrator
Nationally Accredited County Veterans Service Officer
The Commission of Veterans Affairs provides assistance to Decatur County veterans and/or their family members who were discharged under Honorable Conditions. Please contact the Decatur County Veterans Affairs office for eligibility guidelines and application.
Click here for an application or you can come into the office located on the 1st floor (southeast corner) of the Decatur County Courthouse, Leon, or you can call 641/446-7494.
Help with the following needs is available, subject to eligibility guidelines:
· Rent or Mortgage Payments
· Food & Provisions
· Medical, Dental & Vision Care Assistance
· Prescription Medicine
· Gasoline for Medical Treatments
· Burial Assistance
· Grave Markers
There are several State of Iowa benefits available to qualifying Veterans, which include but are not limited to:
· Injured Veterans Grant
· Homeownership Assistance
· Property Tax Exemption
· Veterans Designation on Iowa Driver’s License/ID
· Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
· License Plates
· Iowa Veterans Trust Fund
· Iowa Veterans Cemetery
The Veterans Affairs department also provides assistance to ALL veterans and/or their family members in applying for federal benefits and other veterans aid, which include but are not limited to:
· Service connected disability compensation
· Special monthly compensation
· Non-service connected pension
· Surviving spouse pension
· Aid & attendance/housebound
· Military records upgrade and military records replacement
· Agent Orange/PTSD/Desert Storm Sickness/Type II Diabetes/HepC
· Application for VA HealthCare System
· Application for admission to the Iowa Veterans Home
· All other federal programs for which veterans and/or dependents may be eligible
To receive assistance with any of the above or any other questions regarding Veterans Affairs, please contact the Decatur County Veterans Affairs Administrator Samantha Schaff at 641-446-7494 to set up an appointment.